Sunday, March 20, 2011

Greenwashing

I saw this cartoon today and it made me think...

According to EnviroMedia Social Marketing, "It’s greenwashing when a company or organization spends more time and money claiming to be “green” through advertising and marketing than actually implementing business practices that minimize environmental impact. It’s whitewashing, but with a green brush."

As a future PR professional, I am saddened by many of the false claims made by corporations across the globe. Let's face it, coal is not clean, an oil company's main focus is not to save the environment, and just because your bank is going "paperless" does not mean it is heading up the environmental movement in you community. I hope that when I enter the PR field I can take action to end this false advertising. It's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment