Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jimmy Buffett Saves the Manatees

I was working on an assignment for my Nonprofit Public Relations class, where we had to find a celebrity endorsed nonprofit organization, and I stumbled across the Save the Manatee Club. It was co-founded by Jimmy Buffett in 1981. Their mission is "to protect manatees and their aquatic habitats for future generations." I used to go to the Lowry Park Zoo and observe the injured Manatees all the time with my family. It is horrible that they are subjected to such cruelty through boating accidents and waterway pollution. Right now, the club is in the middle of a fundraiser where they are encouraging people to 'adopt' manatees for Valentines Day. Funny, because my girl scout troop "adopted" a manatee back when I was a kid. His name was Tiny Tim. I also thought it was an awesome idea to get Jimmy Buffett, someone who is known to hang around these parts, to participate in this organization. I totally love it. Go Jimmy!

Here is a public service announcement for the Save the Manatee Club featuring Jimmy Buffett...

No comments:

Post a Comment