Monday, April 4, 2011

Reflection on Frank's, Alas Babylon

     I just finished reading Pat Frank's, Alas Babylon, and I have some mixed feelings about it. It was a nail-biter, that's for sure. The first ninty pages had me glued to the book, but by chapter four I wanted the Russian's to go ahead and bomb us already! I guess I just don't like to be stressed out for that long. Also, I wish there was a more detailed discription of the destruction that occured in places that were bombed. We never got that, and I kind of craved it. After all that build up, I feel like "The Day" was a little anti-clamatic to be honest. Maybe this is because it is grared more towards a younger crowd, and Frank was trying to be gentle, which I understand.

     My favorite character was Helen. I felt her character was one of the most developed supporting characters in the novel. Where many women would fall apart, she stood strong for her children, even though she didn't know the fate of her husband. I hope that in my lifetime I'll never have to be as strong as her.

     The scene I liked best also included Helen. I think Frank portrayed her moment of weakness beautifully, and I only wish he would have extended it. It was one of the only times in the novel when an adult character showed true vurnablilty, and it was interesting to see it coming from on of the strongest characters.

     Overall, I liked it. Not usually something you would usually find on my bookshelf, but I can see why it is so popular. I'm glad I wasn't around in those days because worring about nuclear attacks constantly would be pretty nerve-racking

No comments:

Post a Comment